Windows 9X Dial Up Configuration
- Go to My Computer, then Dial up Networking. There will be at least one icon in here, called 'Make New Connection'. This allows you to set up a connection to the Internet.
- Double click on the Make New Connection icon.
- Enter "1 2 Free UK ISP " as the name of the computer you are dialing. When asked to 'Select a device', make sure that it shows the correct modem type. (Check in Control Panel/Modems if unsure.)
- Now enter the telephone number to dial up to 1 2 Free UK ISP,
Country code - 0845
Telephone Number - 0884191
Check that the Country Code is set to the UK 44.
- Hit Next.
- Click Finish
- Right-click on the dialup icon and select Properties
- Click on Server Types
First of all check that 'Type of Dial-Up Server' is set to PPP, Internet etc.
Remove the tick from Log on to network. The only box that should be ticked is Enable Software Compression.
In Allowed network protocols, remove the ticks from NetBEUI and IPX/SPX Compatible. The only one that should be ticked is TCP/IP.
- Click on TCP/IP Settings
Check that 'Server assigned IP address' is checked.
Make sure that 'Server assigned name server address' is checked.
- Press OK, and........
- OK again to close the Properties window
- Double-click on the dialup icon. This will bring up a window that has fields for Username, Password and Phone Number. Enter;
Username - isp@dialup
Password - connect
- Press Connect to start dialing.